Sri Govinda Raja swamy Temple is an ancient Hindhu-vaishnavite temple situated at the heart of the Tirupati city in Chittoor District of Andhra Pradesh state in India.
The ancient saiva devotee a chola king named Krimikantha hatred towards Lord Vishnu destroyed all the Vishnu temples in his kingdom.
The idols of Sri Govinda Raja swamy in recline posture along with Sridevi and Bhudevi were immersed into sea near a sacred place called Chitrakuta (Chidambaram) at that time.
Some Sri Vaishnavas brought the idols of Sri Govindaraja Swamy along with his consorts to Tirupati without the knowledge of the chola king and started performing poojas.
Temples Near by
In the premises of Sri Govindaraja Swamy temple, the temples of
- Sri Partha Sarathi Swamy Temple.
- Sri Kalyana Venkateswara Swamy Temple.
- Sri Choodikudutha Nachiyar Ammavari Temple(SriAndal)
- Sri Salai Nachiyar Ammavari Temple(Sri Pundarikavalli Temple)
- Sri Bhasyakarla vari Temple
- Sri Anajaneya swamy Temple near(opposite) Dwajasthambham
- Sri Thirumangai Alwar Temple
- Sri Kurath Alwar Temple
- Sri Madhurakavi and Ananda Alwar Temple
- Sri Chakrathalwar Temple
- Sri Mudal Alwar Temple
- Sri Manavala Mahamuni Temple
- Sri Vedantha Desikar Temple
- Sri Anjaneya Swamy Vari Temple
- Sri Nammalwar Temple
- Sri Sanjeevaraya swamy Temple( Mattam Anjaneya Swamy Temple)
- Sri Tirumala Nambi Sannidhi
- Sri Lakshmi Narayana Swamy Temple, G.S. Mada Street, Tirupati(taken over temple)
Hence the temple premises are familiar as group of Temples in Tirupati.
Making new deities
Knowing this, Bhagavat Ramanujacharya with the help of king and his disciple Yadavaraya, made new deities and along with them the Utsava murthies brought from Chitrakuta were consecrated at a sacred place in Tirupati
All Poojas are being performed similar to that of Tirumala as per tradition of Vaikhanasaagam.
Goda devi- for the wealth
By the southern side of Govindaraja Swamy, Idol of Andal (Godadevi) was also consecrated with an objective of promoting the wealth of Lord Govindaraja Swamy .
Since then as per the instructions of Ramanujacharya , rituals like Nityotsava, Pakshotsava, Masotsava, samvatsarotsavas etc.., are being performed by T.T.D in a systematic manner.
Significance of the Place
Sri Govindaraja Swamy is the elder brother of Sri Venkateswara Swamy, who accomplished the ever-magnificent marriage between Sri Venkateswara Swamy and Padmavathi Ammavaru.
Sri Govindaraja Swamy was the caretaker of massive wealth being obtained from king Kubera for conducting the wedding.
He efficiently utilized this wealth to conduct one of the most glorious weddings of the history.
Hence Sri Govindaraja Swamy is considered to be the god who helps you to elevate your wealth and manage the wealth acquired efficiently.